un film di Emanuele Crialese, 2007
- Why does Salvatore Mancuso decide to leave Sicily?
A to get married
B to escape poverty
C to make a voyage
- Is he travelling alone? If not, who is he travelling with?
- Does Salvatore’s mum want to leave her home?
A because she is happy at home
B because she is ill
C because she is afraid of the sea voyage
- Whom does Salvatore meet during this voyage?
- Find three adjectives to define a third class voyage on a steamship.
- Could women travel on their own?
- Was life easy on Ellis Island?
- Why does Miss Luce Reed want to marry Salvatore Mancuso?
A because she needs to be escorted by a man to leave Ellis Island
B because she is in love with him
C because she likes Italians
- Can all the members of Mancuso family be admitted in the USA?
A because there are too many of them
B because Italians were not welcome
C because some of them were considered not “good enough” to enter the USA
- What did immigrants expect to find in the USA?
- Can you remember three images in the film representing these expectations of richness and abundance? Match the elements of the two columns.
Rain bathing in milk
Huge of coins